Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Saturday, June 03, 2006

Getting Older and Way Too Much Info (WTMI)

Ok, I don't mind getting old. But can I retain the svelte figure that I had in my 20's? So, I don't mind a little bumper, everyone's been saying that it looks nice on me anyway, but can I not have a belly to match? As a matter of fact, friends who are accustomed to me having a near (I would say) wash-board tummy are now asking if I'm pregnant and if I didn't know for sure that there will never be a second immaculate conception, I would have wondered myself. I feel like my body has betrayed me. I no longer wear a bikini to the beach, opting instead for a tankini (you know the swimsuit with the long top to hide the bellies). I am not necessarily convinced at this moment that the song "Gal tuck een yu belly" refers to me (unless I think he's being prophetic) but I'm certainly sprinting to that point. My clothes don't fit that well anymore and of necessity, I now prefer longer tops.

Also, do you 30 y-o notice that when you laugh the laugh lines no longer disappear, choosing instead to linger in your face a bit.

Oh this takes the cake. You're talking to someone, just started a sentence and ....... nothing! You don't remember where the sentence was leading to or what you wanted to say? Do I hear AMEN from the 30plus community. Embarrassing.

Not to mention those tell-tale signs of varicose veins that have brought my shorts, mini-wearing days to a premature, abrupt end.

Well listen, I don't care what anyone else says about getting old gracefully, I hate it. I want to retain the knowledge that the years bring AND keep the body. Why can't I have it all?

......................................................................................................................................................................

Do y'all notice that people now use "how are you/how yu doing" as a replacement for "Hello." Or is it just me? So someone approaches me and says "How are you" and before I can open my mouth to tell him how I am, he/she is long gone? Why not just stick to Hello if you're really not interested.

.........................................................................................................................................................................

Ok, I know we live in this wonderfully liberated world where no topic is out-of-bounds. And that's fine. Well not really. Call me an old fuddy-duddy. Whatever! I think certain things just need to be kept to oneself. I hear people talking at times and think WTMI (Way Too Much Information). Example, in the cafeteria line at work and heard a female telling a man that she was so hungry the previous day that her period started early. Huh? Is that possible though? well, that's not the point. Now this was in response to a comment about how long the lunch line was. Does everyone in the line need to be privy to her mentrual cycle.

......................................................................................................................................................................