Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Wednesday, August 02, 2006

TVJ News

I think I should stop watching the news. I can't stand the disparity in how people are treated man. I was so touched by two reports during this evenings news.

Report 1: This poor man was on tv crying and recounting how he and his 12 year old son was in the market selling and in the evening his son went missing. This happened July 21st and he has been searching everywhere since then, not eating, not sleeping. The man was in so much pain. And of course again I was in tears too (yes, I'm an idiot like that). In addition to that, the man kept receiving these calls on his cell, with the caller not saying anything when the phone is answered. One such call was even received while he was being interviewed.

Report 2: This dreadlocks (should I say 'dreadlocked') man reported that police came by his house (not much of a house really) with a warrant and searched it, destroying everything in sight. After they were through and not finding anything, they proceeded to beat him with their guns, as well as administering kicks and boxes. When several people in the community came out and started protesting, police administered kicks and boxes to them too and shoved several of them in the police jeep. These poeple were later released without being charged.

Now as painful to me as these stories were, what hurt even more was that I didn't hear of anything being done. For the first story I didn't hear of police being involved in the search at all. I'm even thinking, dang! we're living in this technologically advanced world, certainly these calls can be traced. I'm very certain that such an attempt would have been made if other persons with 'better' social standing were involved.

For the second story, again I didn't hear of the disciplinary arm of the police looking into this alleged beating. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusion. Maybe the relevant investigations are being carried out. Maybe they just didn't publicise it, but forgive me if I'm a little skeptical because in other situation where it involves individuals who are at a higher level of the societal ladder, you hear of police and the relevant organizations falling over themselves to investigate the situation and you hear promises of no stones being left unturned until situation is sorted out.

Why is it that is no respect for the poorer people in society. I find all this so painful. Anyway, I looked up the number and called Jamaican for Justice to look into Report 2.

On a more positive note, and this shows the redeeming, beautiful side of our people. Last month, a young boy came on tv with his grandmother and pleaded for financial help, in order to do a surgery that will correct some paralysis of the spine (I think that's it). Well, I was so happy to see him walking out of the hospital after undergoing 9 hours of surgery. Thanks to the generousity of our people who watched the report and felt compelled to do something.