Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Swimming, blogging and talent contests

Blogging has become a past-time for me and hoardes of other people people all around the world and it's quite understandable why this is so. I discovered today that there have been cases of people being fired from their jobs because of this pursuit. Well, I found out about two so far. There's Queen of the Sky who was fired from Delta for posing in her uniform and there's Petite Anglaise, the English single mother living in France whose employer fired her for blogging on the job (well, that was the excuse that they gave). Now I know plenty of you are all going to be running scared. Should I think twice about using this medium to cuss out my boss or criticize my co-workers (even when they deserve it).

So is it a case of being no-holds-bar honest and risk being identified and face the consequences or have a no-personality blog that puts everyone (including the writer) to sleep. Censor yourself or be censured?

Rising Star:
Anyway, on the local (Jamaican) scene, just finished watching Rising Stars (Jamaican version of American Idol) and I was quite pleased with the talents on display. Hey at this rate, I'm going to go broke just voting. I have 6 persons that I just have to vote for today and they didn't even show all the competitors (Jeez, what's the right word? Competitors sounds sporty and contestants sounds like beauty queens).

Swimming:
I've taken 6 swimming lessons so far and already I feel discouraged. Now don't get me wrong, it isn't because I haven't seen any progress. It's just my impatience kicking in. It just seems like I have a long way to go before I can swim. When am I going to get to the stage where I can swim the length of the pool. I can't even swim the width without stopping at least three times to rest and breath (in the shallow part). So how on earth am I going to swim the whole length, bear in mind that I won't be able to stop to rest and breathe in the deep side. If only my Mother hadn't listened to my foolish Aunt who advised her to discontinue my swimming lessons while in Prep School because (Now get this people) I was still wetting my bed. Did she think I was soaking up the water in the pool?