Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Monday, June 26, 2006

Viva Soca Warriors

I've been meaning to blog about the world cup for some time now but what with being consumed with the game, keeping scores, having heated discussions and all that, just couldn't find the time. I have read all these different articles in the newspapers written by men warning their women, wives, girlfriends, daughters etc, not to interfere/interrrupt/bother them while the world cup is on and that could have been me writing. I would happily sit down all day just watcing the three matches but alas I have to work. At the start of the competition, I rushed out and bought a small tv to put in my office so I didn't have to miss anything. I could watch each match from the privacy of my office while doing work at the same time (or rather appear to be). Sadly that hasn't happened. The tv sits on top of my filing cabinet mute. The reception is so bad that it's pointless watching it. So whenever there is an absolutely can't-miss match (eg. soca-warriors, brazil etc) I pop downstairs.

I just read basschocolate's post on the world cup Land of the 'Badmind'
where he noted that he was pissed that people in his office seem to be happy that Trinidad is out and that is so sad.

I was just talking to someone about the Soca Warriors and telling them that if I was a born Trini, I couldn't be any prouder. I feel so very emotional everytime the soca warriors clad in their red, black and white took to the field. I had tears in my eyes, lump in my throat and throughout all their matches I was a mass of nerves.

Whenever they were playing, I was no longer Jamaican, I was a caribbean national, pleased as punch and proud to boot of the team. They were representing the caribbean at the highest level of football and representing us damn well.

So while I can understand wistfully wishing that the reggae boyz were there, I can't understand anyone from the Caribbean not wishing the Trini team to go as far as possible within the World Cup. I do understand too, there will be comparison to see if the Trinis were going to do better than the Jamaicans did in '98.

Talk about caribbean unity..