Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Blogger Link UP

I did the unthinkable. After much deliberating, doubts about the wisdom of it, I said what the hell and took the plunge. I thought, what's the worse that can happen? Well, I wasn't worried about being kidnapped or anything like that but I was concerned about being busted.

Yep, I went to the much touted blogger link-up here in Jamaica and met eleven other bloggers. Crazy, aren't I? At first I thought, maybe this is not a good idea. What contributes to blogging being so popular is the mystery element. So you know everything about the bloggee's life but that's fine since you don't know who the bloggee is. You have no idea that the respectable, bespectacled neighbor that you bid good morning each day is 'Man out of town' who likes freaky sex.

I wanted to be able to cuss, deride, criticise everyone who got on my wrong side without being confronted some time later about it or putting my job at risk. I wanted to mull about that guy who couldn't get it up regardless of what I did (no I haven't blogged about that yet) without contributing to the poor soul's embarassment. I thought that it was ok for MadBull and Abeni to be all gungho about it, afterall they don't live here. And so I pondered. What if *gasp* I meet up on someone who reported to me in the past, or an ex (or even present) boss. I don't even know which would be worse. My carefully crafted image of the of the confident, young professional would be shattered. The people who aren't my friends may know from a very frank post that I'm not always as self-assured as I like to project. Oh crap, forget this.

However, the bane of human's existence, a combination of curiousity and inquisitiveness triumphed. That same nosiness that cause me to spend countless hours every night reading about diverse lives of the authors of the different blogs that I frequent. My grandmother would say is 'fastness'.

So anyway I pried myself from the house telling myself that I'm just going for icecream by Devon House and depending on how I feel I'll pop in just to peep. While parking, I anxiously looked in and saw a largish group and wondered. Hmmm, they look quite decent from where I'm sitting in driver's seat and most importantly didn't see anyone I know. Ok, maybe I'll just go get a drink from the bar without them knowing who it is. Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. Maybe.

I approached the door, looking for Madbull and KingstonGirl who both have pictures on their sites. Dr.D had indicated that he might not be there so even though he also has a pic on his site, I wasn't looking for him. I paused at the door; I didn't see KG but wow, that handsome guy must be MadBull, he looked nicer in person :)

It was great folks, I put a face to some of the blogs I frequent. I won't mention everyone I meet for fear of leaving out someone. I was quite pleased to meet Francis whose blog got me started. I mentioned him in my very first blog.

I noticed however that I was the only female Jamaica blogger who turned up so I guess that says something about me. It's either, I have too much time on my hand and don't have much to do with it or that I'm just more inquisitive than the typical Jamaican female blogger. Take your pick.