Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Tribute to Miss Lou

I've been trying to post on Miss Lou's death from I heard the news of her passing, but just could not find the right words. I wanted to write a Miss Lou type poem as a tribute, but alas I'm no poet. As someone who grew up in Jamaica in the 70's it feels like a personal loss. Every single Jamaican child who grew up during that time wanted to go on 'Ring Ding' on tv. I never did go, I think once, arrangements were made but fell through and I remember crying my heart out in disappointment. If a child was in the household it would be mandatory for tv to be on, on a Saturday - Was it midday that the programme came on then? I heard someone on Cool fm saying that they feel like a major part of their childhood has been lost because all the 'Ring Ding' tapes have been lost or erased. I quite understand the feeling. Fortunately though, while we may never be able to recapture those images of Miss Lou saying 'Clap dem' or telling about 'Auntie Roachie' on Ring Ding, we won't forget them because they're etched indelibly in our hearts. We'll also never forget that she inspired pride in our culture and most of all in the local vernacular. While it is accepted that it's important to be conversant with the English Language, the Jamaican patois will always have pride of place. Miss Lou made it acceptable to showcase it beyond our borders, and pave the way for other persons to earn a living from its usage.

As our foremost cultural icon, it feels appropriate that she passed on during the Jamaican festival celebrations when we're in the midst of celebrating our culture. It's especially eerie that she made her transition on the day the the JCDC had its annual SpeechFest, where children from across the nation normally recite the famed Louise Bennett poems. She said once in an interview that her greatest pleasure was hearing the little children recite one of her poems, putting their own spin to it. I like to think that she went off with a smile, with the sound of a child reciting ringing in her ears.

Miss Lou, I'll miss you, thanks for helping to create wonderful childhood memories, as our cultural ambassador and champion of the Jamaican patois, you did a wonderful job. As yu use to love say wen yu deh pon tv, 'Walk good', God bless yu mi chile, and Rest In Peace. We love you.

Non-Jamaican can read about the awesome Dr. the hon Louise Bennett-Coverly and see a sample of her poems here