Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Is this my first blog rant?

I came across a blog called 'On the Verge' Well, I'm on the verge of doing something unpleasant. I feel like hauling some some old tyres and vehicles and blocking the road, walk up and down with placards until the government does something, I feel like starting another gas riot like the one we had here some years ago.

If I have to drive on my road for another week with all those craters (they can't be called potholes anymore) I'm going to do something very drastic. My road has been in that terrible state since Hurricane Ivan (back in 2004). There's not just one, there are several very deep potholes on the road, so I do a motorised version of hopscotch each day. I swear, the only reason I haven't disappeared in one of these craters so far is because I drive a big-ass truck. What galls me is this, every time there's some 'important' person visiting, whether it be the Pope, or the Queen or her relatives, roads that smoother than my balcony floor are overhauled and 'fixed' if the person is going to be driving on it for two seconds. Yet I can't get a decent road to drive on every darn day. It's enough having to deal with high gas prices, why do I have to deal with other unnecessary expenses that comes from driving on these bad roads. You know, the cost of shocks, suspension joints or whatever the hell is affected when your vehicle drops into one of them.

I'm trying to remember if any country that I've visited had holes these sizes or any at all. As a matter of fact, now that I think about it, I don't recall seeing potholes in the other caribbean islands that I visited. I pay my taxes, is it too much to ask for decent roads to drive on?

My rant is over.