Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Election time again

The politicians are at it again. Election is in the air and the politicians are reeling out the promises like there's no tomorrow. Who knows, there probably won't be any tomorrow for the loser.

I really haven't decided who I'm voting for yet. I'm tired of the PNP and their scandals but feel like I'd like to give Portia a chance to show what she has in store for the country. I'm not yet too impressed, but afterall it has only been six months .

I must confess too that I'm a more than a little curious to see how the JLP plan to execute all these changes that they have been promising. They have promised to roll back the Portmore Highway toll. They've also promised the country free education up to the secondary school level. How do they plan to finance all these I'd love to know.

Election should be anytime soon but of course we don't know the date yet. As our Prime Ministers are wont to do, the polls are being watched and it will be called at a time that's favourable to the party. The time is certainly not now as she's under seige by all these public sector groups demanding salary increases. That's another pet peeve. We need to have a fixed election date and eliminate the games involved in setting one. That way too there won't be need for an unnecessarily drawn out election campaign and the violence associated with it.

Watching the news as I write:

Living here in Kingston and being exposed to the more modern aspect of living in Jamaica, it is sometimes easy to forget that there are several areas of poverty in the country. Recently I mentioned to an expatriate that I worked with that he's not to be fooled by the 'good life' that's evidenced in New Kingston where we both worked because there are pockets of poverty in the country. Another co-worker who was listening insisted that it's the other way around, Jamaica is a poor country with pockets of wealth. Hmmm.

The reason I mention that conversation is this. I'm now watching the news and watching teachers plea for furniture for the students. The camera then focused on students sitting on metal chairs with a long ply board placed on them (I'm assuming because there's no seat where it should be). In 2006 watching the news, I'm watching parents plea for proper 'flush' toilets because the toddlers are in danger of falling into the 'pit' toilets that they have to use. In 2006.

Now those are isssues that need to be addressed by our politicians. Issues that will remain relevant even after the election.

Who do I vote for?