Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Monday, September 11, 2006

Inefficient bank service

Some months ago I went into my bank to get a replacement ATM card since I couldn't locate the one I had. I was sure that I hadn't left it in the machine as usual but still couldn't find it. I got the new card and went home. Later that day when I tried to access my account online, I was having all sort of problems so I called up internet banking customer service people. They told me that the reason I couldn't get online was due to the fact that the I had a new ATM card (which had a different no. of course). So I thought, no problem, she could just fix that right there by me giving her the new number on the card to update her system. Wrong. She said it didn't work like that, the branch would have to contact them and advise them of the change.

Now why the dickans didn't the girl dealing with the replacement didn't say that, I thought irritably. Anyhow, I called the branch, they took the number and promised to deal with it promptly. A week later I tried to get online again. Still no access. Apparently the branch hadn't passed on the info to the internet banking people. I tried a month later. Same thing. Several months passed and during this time I called the branch several times. Each time they took the information and still no internet access. So I visited the branch, they wrote down the new atm #(aren't they supposed to have this info anyway?), promised to pass on the info. All this time, I'm still not able to access my account online.

So last Friday in a fit of rage, I went to the bank's website and typed the following message and sent it off.

Message: (Taken verbatim from the email they sent responding)
"What do I need to do? Who do I need to kill to get the bank to record the fact that I have received a new ATM card so that I can finally start accessing my account online again. It has been several damn months since I have received the card. Customer service rep. advised me that the branch will need to inform them (I can't do it myself!) so that they may update the system. I have requested the branch (New Kingston) to do this by phone (several times), I have gone into the branch itself to request that they do so and they recorded the information. Yet, I'm still unable to access my account online. So again I ask, what do I need to do, who do I need to stalk, in order to have access to my account online. Sheesh!!!

Let's see if this medium is any better!!!!

I got a call while I was at work today. It was a representative from the bank calling the advise that my request via the net has been dealt with and I am now able to access my account online.

Apparently you're not supposed to be polite all the while. I haven't confirmed that I can actually access account online as yet though.

Update: 20/Sept/06

Got in and clear voice mail message. Personnel from the bank calling again to assure me that I'm now able to access my account online and urging me to call if I encounter any problem. I still haven't checked as yet.