Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Nature

Jamaica is beautiful. So very beautiful. I found myself thinking that (not the first time) as I drove along the road this afternoon. No. I wasn't on my way to or from the country. I wasn't driving through Portland with its lush country side nor was I driving on Spur Tree Hill where you can get the most spectacular view of practically all of Jamaica. I was just driving in good, ole, polluted Kingston.

Maybe because it was overcast and about to rain, but somehow the leaves just looked a little greener, the grass a little more lush. "Ahh, Beautiful," I found myself thinking as I drove along Barbican Road to that big store to see what household goodies they had to tempt me with.

It was a lovely afternoon too. There was a slight drizzle when I was driving back home, a light breeze. Just nice. I actually like when it rains. As long as I'm home with no where to go, it's fine. There's a comforting feel to the sound of heavy rain on your roof during the nights. If you have someone to snuggle up to, it's even better. I don't mind a hurricane every now and then either to stir up some excitement. Unfortunately I live in a country where even a 'mild' shower can cause severe distress to people who live in the more rural areas. I use to be so amazed when we get a regular shower of rain here in Kingston and then watch the news later on and see that houses were under-water, people washed away, while others were left homeless. I wondered how was that possible when it 'just barely rained'

So now, if I hear that a storm is on the horizon, I desperately wish it away like everyone else. I find that now, I even feel guilty if I am enjoying a light shower. As if I was the one who called it. Even while enjoying it, I'm wishing fervently that no one is too negatively affected.

Nature is lovely. Such a pity we don't always take the time to enjoy it. Sometimes in the morning, I hear birds singing outside my window. Absolutely lovely.