Gela!

Just me talking about the things that I observe as I go about the business of living.

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Dying is darn expensive!

What!!!! $85,000 for a cremation!!!

Now, I'm a practical person who've never believed in spending a lot of money on the dead. It makes no sense to me. There will other expenses that comes from being alive that will have to be dealt with even after you've lavishly sent off the loved one to the comforting arms of the Maker. It's fine if the deceased had made arrangement (and paid for it) while living. People are free to do whatever they wish with their money. When it's the living who will have to assume that financial burden it's another matter.

So I've been going around saying that I want to be cremated. I figure that with the absence of a casket, no need for a vault to be built funeral cost should be minimal. Right? I'm so darn wrong.

According to an article I just read in the Sunday Observer, it's just as expensive to die as to live. A basic cremation costs $85,000 while the one with frills can be up to $180,000. (US$1 =J$66)

I've said some other seemingly crazy things too. I mean them though. I've said that I'd like to donote my whichever of my organs that are still usable if they can extend/improve the life of someone else. Because really, if I'm already dead what use are they to me?

I don't know though if there's somewhere in Jamaica that will allow me to 'register' my 'offer'. I don't even know if such a facility exists.